**WARNING** This post is very long! I've been a bad blogger!
Well, we had a fabulous anniversary this year--I can take all the credit because it was my year to plan it! Ha! We went to the Blue Boar Inn in Midway Friday afternoon, thanks to our wonderful neighbors and friends, Josh & Dana, who watched the girls. And they already have 3 girls of their own, 2 of who are twins. Ya, that's a lot of giggling and screaming in the house at the same time! It was Samantha's first slumber party and she was so excited.
After we dropped them off, we headed to Midway and the bed-and-breakfast was way classier than I ever imagined it would be--I guess that's what you get in a rich area. So we checked in and hung out and then went to dinner at 7:30. I knew we were in trouble when they listed the Head Chef and the Assistant Chef on the menu. This restaurant made me feel like Pretty Woman trying to figure out what the words on the menu meant, and wondering why there were so many utinsels. I mean really, how many forks do you need? The menu had 3 different courses with different prices on it, so I asked the waitress if we had to pick from all of them and she said no. I decided to play it safe and go for the meal that said "Meat and Potato"
At least I didn't need a translator for that one. Then she asked if we wanted soup or salad with it. Oh, it actually comes with the meal and we don't have to order it separately? Well, when we got the bill, we realized we had been charged $11.00 each for the salads and they were really gross! We totally got scammed, but our entrees were actually fabulous. Too bad my pregnant belly wouldn't let me eat more. I decided that I'd better eat the most expensive thing so I would get my money's worth--the steak. And oh what a steak it was!
After dinner, we went up to our room and Brandon opened the door only to find that there were 6 dozen red roses in our room--a dozen for each year we've been married.
I was so confused because he was with me the whole time, but he's a tricky one and got the staff to help. They even put out robes and chocolate covered strawberries for us. It was so nice and the fireplace was very warm and cozy.
We picked out a movie from their library--most of which were really random and we'd never heard of, so we ended up picking The Recruit. Now that's romance if I've ever seen one! I fell asleep and the last thing I remember was Brandon saying he was going in the jetted tub. That is his all-time favorite. In fact, we just bought one to put in our guest bathroom. It's going to be Brandon's new santuary.
The next morning, we had a complimentary breakfast at the same restaurant downstairs, which was really good, but I only ate half of one piece of 4 french toast slices. I did eat all the bacon though!

Then we got our picnic and headed off to the little airport for the helicopter ride. Our pilot's name was Dave and he was really nice. The helicopter was on this platform trailer attached to the back of his hummer.

And darn if he didn't take off right from it! I sat in the front with him and Brandon sat behind me--he is a little afraid of heights!

I was a little nervous at first because you can see right below your feet, but then it was just cool! We saw David Lossee's huge mansion with an entire drive-way that is heated so he doesn't have to shovel snow off it.

Then we flew over Deer Creek and up to a hidden house on top of the mountain owned by the Nuskin guy. He has 3 guest houses all connected by tunnels so that his guests won't have to walk in the snow....oh, and a mannequin of a guy holding a shotgun on top of his roof!

Then we flew up to Sundance and saw some Elk on the way and then Robert Redford's house. I guess he doesn't usually like people flying over his house, but maybe our pilot didn't know. Oops!


I was feeling so great the whole ride--I guess my prayers paid off. Then on the way back, I threw up in a plastic bag in the car. Sexy, right? Ya, Brandon thought I was way hot!


Notice the Boar eating my hand?

Then we found out that Scott & Erin were up here too! They were celebrating their 5 year anniversary the day before ours. We decided to head over the The Homestead. First, we decided to hike to the top of the crater, and I was so winded by the time we finally climbed all those stairs! It brought me back to my BYU days. If any of you went to school there, you know what I'm talking about!


Here is looking down into the crater. If you don't know, Midway is the only place in the world where you can ski and skuba dive in the same place. There is this crater filled with underground water that is around 90 degrees. So people go swimming and scuba diving in there. It's pretty cool!

So since I had puked my breakfast, it was time to eat again and we went to lunch. We got to eat outside next to a little pond with tons of fish in it. I guess there are lots of natural hot springs in the area and this pond is one of them. They actually have to pump in cold water so the fish won't die!

Then we headed over to the crater again and looked around the inside. It was really hot!


Here are some random people swimming and the picture below is looking at the top of the crater, from where we were looking down before.

Well, I wasn't expecting such a long post and so many pictures in less than 24 hours, but there you go! We had so much fun and I can't wait to see what we do next year!
13 comments:
congrats! it looks like you guys had so much fun... way to document your trip! i would love to do a helicopter ride like that! is it super expensive? bill's 30th birthday is coming up in august and i need to think of something amazing!
What a great anniversary! The roses were very thoughtful, good job Brandon! I'm glad you had a great weekend, minus the throw up part. I've never been there, we will have to keep that in mind. Andy would love the helicopter ride!
Awesome! I'm so glad that you posted. I'll come to you when we plan our next anniversary. It would be a miracle if we did anything! Yeah for the Petersons!
Wow that looks amazing! What a fun idea...good job hubby on the roses! Congrats on 6 years!
So, beka wanted me to ask you some questions regarding your blog but I forgot them. I will agree, that is one long, long blog. Were you able to enjoy some of the scenery on your helicopter ride or were you taking to many pictures? I was going to ask if you really fell asleep the night of staying in the bed and breakfast? Not that it would matter, I mean you are already pregnant (Yea, lets just leave that one alone). Either way, seems like ya'll had a fabulous time. Congratulations on another year. bye now.
I loved reading this post! It was awesome, what a fun anniversary. Those pictures are amazing from the helicopter and I want to eat that food! I've seen the B&B you went to when we've been up in midway and I've always wondered what staying at the Blue Boar Inn would be like... what kind of a weird name is that anyway?? Happy Anniversary!
WHat a great anniversary! The Blue Boar is amazing- we went there on one of the stops on our honeymoon tour and do you know what I remember most about it? The crappy movie selection and the amazingly luxurious robes, both of which you mentioned! How funny! The helicopter looked awesome, and the crater is cool- I am so glad you enjoyed yourself, even if you weren't with us instead!
What a great anniversary!! You inspire me Amber. Some years we do neat things, others we're just bums. Our five year anniversary this year lands on the day I come home from Girl's Camp...so, we'll see what happens. I'm sure we'll have exhausted all of our babysitters. :) I'm glad you had fun.
How fun is that!!!! The helicopter ride looked awesome. Those houses are huge, and I can't believe that the one has a heated driveway. Must be nice right? I'm glad that you felt good for the ride atleast.
That is cute that Brandon surprised you even when it was your year. Happy anniversary, I am glad you had a good one.
happy anniversary!! jake and i love the blue boar-it's super fun! i can't believe you did a helicopter ride while prego...you're a trooper :)
Happy Anniversary!! It sounds like you had a great time!1 I never knew midway had so many cool things to do..hmm...have to try it out sometime!!
We were so happy to watch those cute girls! Anytime, seriously. I'm so glad you had fun! What's with the horse on the bed with a spoon in its mouth?!
Matt and I stayed at the blue boar inn for Matt's birthday, I think. The only room they had available was the most expensive (too expensive) but I had heard such great things about it. Anyway, we had a great time. The big boar hanging over our bed was a little weird. Unfortunately, I had a major allergy attack and couldn't breathe the whole stinkin' night. It is beautiful up there and I love it. I'm glad you guys had fun. Happy Anniversary!!
Karin
Post a Comment