Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Samantha's Surgery

It's been almost a week since Samantha's eye surgery. After 1 year of wearing glasses to try and fix the crossing, we found out she had to have a procedure done to fix the problem. Samantha was very sure that she didn't want surgery and even wrote heartbreaking notes about it at school about how she was scared. We decided to have a family fast for her and we told her that everyone that loved her was going to fast for her so that Heavenly Father would help her be brave. After a while, she told me she wasn't scared anymore. The night before surgery, Brandon was able to give her a blessing and our sweet neighbor brought over 6 new Barbie movies to help take her mind off things. In the morning, we got her showered and ready and she got to open a present.We didn't know whether or not they were going to give her an IV before or after they put her under anesthesia, and thankfully it was after. She's not a big fan of needles, but let's be honest, who really is? She thought the worst part of it all was the blood pressure machine squeezing her arm.
Here she is all decked out in hospital pj's. Now why don't they make these for grown ups?
When we got to the pre-op room, there were a bunch of things waiting for her on her bed--coloring sheets, bouncy balls, yo-yo's, a crown, a home made pillow case. She was excited too see all her new stuff and it helped ease her mind.


Samantha was so brave, she didn't cry once. I on the other hand, bawled me eyes out many times. I had to keep turning my back so she wouldn't see me cry. Even now as I'm writing this, I still tear up. I think I should have had a blessing too!
Here she is after surgery, still groggy from the anesthesia. The actual procedure only took about 30 min. I was really surprised at how fast it took. But from the time the doctor told me she did great until the time they actually brought her in the room took FOREVER. I told Brandon if they didn't bring her to me soon, I was going to start storming through the hospital until I found my baby. When she finally came in she said she was just so sleepy. She didn't open her eyes at all the first day because it felt like there was sand in them. We just listened to Barbie movies. The next morning, she finally opened her eyes and said, "Mom I can see!" Her eyes are still really red, and probably will be for the next month, and then they will fade. We're hoping that everything is fixed and we won't have to do this again. Thank you to everyone who fasted, and also for your sweet thoughts and prayers. We are so lucky to have such great family and friends.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Aww, what a brave girl!!! I'm sure it's harder on the parents having to watch then it is on our kids. I'm glad she did so well.

Ann-Marie said...

I'm so glad things went smoothly. I'm sure I would've bawled too if it were my baby! Good job being brave Samantha AND Amber!

Jodee Luke said...

Ok I'm choked up right now. What a brave little family! I hope things continue to go smoothly!

BBC said...

what a brave little girl!!!! i'm so glad it went well!

Cassie and Kenny said...

oh man! this almost made me cry! But at least it's over and her eyes will be better right?

Macdonalds said...

She is so brave, and brave mommy too! The Priesthood is the greatest blessing!I'm so glad all went well!

Emily said...

What a brave girl! I'm glad everything went well and that the procedure was pretty quick. (And that they did the IV after she was out! Gosh, I hope they always do it that way for kids!) I hope the healing process is going well.

Karin said...

I am so glad it is done and over and went well. What a sweet sweet girl with such darling pictures. I agree, they need those PJs for us when we have babies. Oh, my heart melts for you having to watch and wait for your baby girl. Glad it is behind you!! Way to be brave Samantha!!