Saturday, December 1, 2007

Foreshadowing

Can anyone have worse luck? I want you all to appreciate about how warm and cozy you are in your homes right now! Not only did we have a flood 2 days after Thanksgiving, but we had another one within the same week! We all had the stomach flu the day before this incident, so I set out to do laundry the next day. I was just about on my last load and washing towels from our previous flood, when I heard the washing machine go off balance. Not thinking anything of it, I continued about my business and then heard the buzzer from the dryer, indicating that the laundry was dry. I walked over to my laundry room and saw this:


A big puddle was on the floor of my laundry room and the carpet. Then I had a horrible thought. The people that lived in our house before us had their laundry room in the basement, which meant that they had re-routed the dryer tube up through the ceiling, or the floor of our laundry room. That means there's a hole there. So, I went to investigate my thought and this is what I found:

Notice the soap on the ground from the washing machine? The drainage tube had come out of the wall when it went off balance and wouldn't you know it, that it flooded right down that hole into the basement bathroom and everything else down there.

Here's an attempt at moping up the mess. The pictures really don't give it justice.

This is where the waterfall occurred from the hole in the ceiling. Notice how the water caressed the wall ever so carefully and took the paint with it. We ended up calling our insurance company and they paid to have some things fixed, but some things we still have to do ourselves. We have always wanted to remodel that bathroom and knock out a wall, so it looks like now we are getting our chance, and at least some money to do it with. I'm trying to be positive about this. Poor Cody & Laura have been sleeping on our futon because their room got flooded for the second time. Hopefully we will get back to normal soon and it will look 10 x better than when we started. So, if some of you are feeling neglected that we haven't been in great contact, this is why. When it rains, it pours at our house!!!

5 comments:

Doug and Shayla said...

I am so sorry Amber! What a mess. I hope insurance covers most of it. Good Luck!

Kimm said...

Good gravy...what a string of bad luck!! I hear ya...when it rains it pours...literally at your house. I am glad everything is almost back to normal!!

Johnsons said...

Amber, I am so sorry, and not a good time of year for it to happen. I love your positive attitude about remodeling. Sometimes there are little blessings hiding amidst the trials. I hope it all goes well. Be sure to post pictures of the finished product.

Nikki said...

Amber - -

I am SOOO sorry! I hate floods! It sounds like you and I have similar luck. My new house flooded three times within a couple months of us moving in. It totally sucks! Let me know if there is anything I can do to help...I'm sure you have everything under control by now. (seeings how I have not been checking blogs too often lately). Again, I am so sorry...

But on a good note - - you have the cutest little girls. I love their pictures! Even if your little one always has food in her mouth! :)

- Love you!

Ang said...

Oh my goodness! That is crazy! I hope your luck turns around real soon!