Monday, January 19, 2009

A Little Perspective

I am so grateful for the Gospel. I just found out that my grandpa died a few hours ago. He has been on hospice for about a year and has been battling cancer and has had heart problems for some time. He lived longer than his doctors ever thought possible. My grandpa never went to church and never let my grandma go through the temple. With his passing, although it has me somewhat saddened, I am excited for the temple work to be done for my grandparents. Families truly are forever and I don't know how anyone handles death that doesn't believe this to be true. I know that I will see my grandpa again. I am so grateful that I will be able to spend eternity with Brandon and my beautiful children. I think times like these strengthen my testimony to remember where we came from and where we are going. Along with this death, a new life is also coming. One of my best friends, my sister-in-law, Erin, is going to have a baby in a week. She happens to live in Idaho, where my grandpa's funeral is going to be. So while I get to say good-bye to my grandpa, I also get to say hello to my new nephew. Love every minute you get to spend with your family. Sometimes it may be hard when your kids are screaming or tearing up the room you just spent hours cleaning. Life really is short and it will all be over too soon. Tell someone today how much you love them.

9 comments:

Walker Family said...

Amber-
I am so sorry to hear about your grandpa. It is funny how your perspective changes about life when you realize how fragile it is. Hope you are doing okay.

Matt, Karin, Sienna, Sadie & Tanner said...

I am sorry to hear about your grandpa too but I am happy that you have the gospel. Going out with the missionaries lately I've had 2 very neat experiences about the Plan of Salvation.

I hope your family is doing well.

Unknown said...

So sorry to hear about your grandpa. It's hard saying goodbye, but what a neat opportunity you'll have to be involved in his work. He'll thank you for it one day.

Doug and Shayla said...

I'm sorry to hear about your grandpa. We'll be thinking of you guys.

BBC said...

so sorry to hear about your grandpa. however, i am very excited for the upcoming temple work you have. i had the unique opportunity to participate in the temple work for both my grandmother and grandfather and it was the most spiritual and memorable occasions of my life. specifically, being able to act as proxy for my grandparents while my dad was sealed to his parents for the first time in his life was truly one of the most beautiful things I've ever experienced. I hope you will also get that opportunity. It was amazing. What a blessing it is to be sealed to our families for eternity.

Katie C said...

I'm so sorry about your Grandpa. It's true, a little perspective can go a long way. Sad for a life lost, but reflecting on what you have is so valuable. Love you.

Emily said...

What a great post Amber. It's so nice to be pointed toward that perspective, to be reminded of blessed we are to know the truth. I'm sorry about your loss. And I'm so happy for your family and the temple work you'll soon be doing for your grandpa and grandma. What a sweet experience.

Macdonalds said...

Sorry about your grandpa. When we did my grandpa's and my brother's temple work in October it was the most incredible experience. It really helped part of the healing process and the overwhelming sense of peace was incredible. The gospel really is amazing!

The Despain Gang said...

Sorry to hear about your grandpa. You're right, the gospel is amazing!