Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Naive

Okay, so I know I've lived a pretty sheltered life. I grew up in California, which you might think would have opened my eyes a little, but I guess my parents raised me in a happy bubble. Brandon always catches me singing songs and asks, "You know what they're talking about, don't you?" And I lower my eyes and say, "No. I just like the music!"

Well, thanks to my friends, let's call them Amanda and Jeni, I had a wake up call to the easy access of obtaining your personal information off of the internet and how blogging easily allows this. So I have decided to follow in their footsteps and remove all last names as well as where I live. Apparently when I set this blog up, I was just willing to share everything with the entire world! I did a google search on my name, which, mind you, is fairly common, and I was amazed to see how my circle of friends popped up. I am truly sorry for having used your last name if you didn't want me to, and I'm going to try to remain as discreet as possible. If you want to be blown away, just try and google your own name. It's crazy!

If anyone has any more suggestions to keep yours and my information safe in the blogging world, let me know! Maybe I'm just having a paranoid moment.....

4 comments:

BBC said...

good tip! i've done the same thing... :)

.l i c k t e e s. said...

you do know about making your blog unavailable to search engines and the blog community, don't you? if you haven't changed those settings then get on it!! that's probably the best way to keep everything a little private :)

Jen said...

I googled Jumpin Jacks and Springville once (because that's where it's located, right?) to see what their hours were and the only entry that came up was my blog - ooops! So, at that time I did the same thing.

THE CHASE FAMILY said...

Welcome to the age of jive! I agree with licktee fam, make blog unavailable and delete your profiles too if you care to. Have you tried google street mapping. If you think our privacy is invaded, check out my address and you can see my son playing in the front yard on the day they took the pictures for google maps. A little freaky to scroll around to my neighbors house and literally see my son walking across the street to the neighbors.